In December 2012, the new Future Climate – Engineering Solutions (FC-ES) website was officially launched at a FC-ES side event at the Sheraton Hotel during COP18 in Doha, Qatar.
(From left to right: Rob Cooke, Saurev Dhakel, Andrew Picken, Fethi Thabet, Adam Poole, Daniel Kenning, Alex May, Chris May, Shalini Sharma)
Speakers from 6 different countries, including representatives from the World Federation of Engineering Organisations (WFEO), the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and the British Council came together at the event, which was sponsored by Shell UK. The website was presented by a team from the Mayden Foundation.
Since the event, Tunisia has expressed an interest in participating in the project.
The main topics discussed were:
- The Indian Energy and Climate Plan – presented by Dr Shalini Sharma, Chair Professor
- The Institution of Engineers (India) and Head, Centre for Climate Change;
- The UK Energy and Climate Plan – presented by Daniel Kenning, Fellow of the IMechE and founder of Splendid Engineering;
- The DECC Pathways calculator and the global calculator – presented by Jan Kiso, Senior Policy Advisor, DECC;
- The FC-ES website – Introduced by Chris May, founder and managing director of Mayden and
- Mayden Foundation, and presented by Alex May; an Engineering student at Warwick University.
- The role of WFEO and how it links to FC-ES – presented by Fethi Thabet, co-ordinator of WFEO-CEE
- The work of the Engineering and Agriculture Task Group.